The Easy Way to be Cookie Compliant from Netmatters
27th May 2021
We’ve all heard of website cookies. Most people understand the premise of them, what they are used for and why they are important. However, as a website owner, you need to be aware of how compliant your website is when it comes to the cookies you use on your website.
Are you Cookie Compliant?
Consent must be asked for and received before a cookie is dropped. More importantly, if consent is withheld, the site should still function correctly but without the use of selected cookies.
According to international privacy laws, such as General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and the ePrivacy Directive, a user has the right to control what data they share with others and what cookies they install.
How do I become Cookie Compliant?
Three things you need to keep in mind:
- Make sure you have a cookie usage alert on your website
- Make sure you can prove you are cookie compliant on your website
Cookie Usage Alert
Global privacy laws allow users to:
- Restrict who has access to their personal information
- Revoke consent to a company holding their personal data at any time
- Refuse to accept marketing and other unnecessary cookies that collect personally identifiable information
- Why they're using cookies
- Specifically what type of information they plan on collecting
- How they use the data, and whom they share it with
- How to revoke consent
- How to delete cookies
Cookie Management Tool
In order to help our customers, manage the cookies on their website with ease, we have created a new cookie management tool, which will allow you to:
- View a list of cookies
- View a specific cookie
- Create a cookie
- Edit a cookie
- Delete a cookie
We will help you to build, implement, test, and assist with cookie management through this easy-to-use tool. Fundamentally, our goal is to make your website compliant with ePrivacy Directive 2009/136/EC (ePR) and reduce your risk of prosecution. We will keep users on your website by implementing this policy in the least obstructive way, whilst keeping your users informed of cookies in use, helping to build trust in your brand.
We are able to offer the use of our cookie management tool as an add-on to your website package, and even if Netmatters did not create your website you are able to take advantage of our easy-to-use tool.
Please contact us to arrange a quote today and put your mind at ease that your site is cookie compliant.